Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why Is Saturday A Good Day To Visit the VA Hospital?

Saturday at the VA Hospital
Today I stopped by the VA Puget Sound Health System hospital in Seattle  to visit a friend. Here's some practical things that I learned:
  1. Parking: Usually when I stop by the hospital during the work week, I have to drive around the lot looking for an empty spot, often ending up in the neighborhood. There's always a line of cars waiting to offload patients by the main entrance. (The valets work fast, but it takes time to help people into wheelchairs!) However, on Saturday there were no lines, as you can see in the photo. I would therefore recommend that if you don't enjoy spending time hunting for a parking space, ask if you can arrange your appointment on a Saturday. It's not always possible, but what does it hurt to ask?
  2. Information: I didn't know where my friend was in the complex; it has a lot of buildings and, frankly, they all look alike to me. This turned out not to be a problem. I went in the front door and asked the guard, who aimed me at the clerk in the room to the left. The clerk looked up Cyril's name in the computer, said he was on "3 East", and gave me directions. This was pretty straightforward and reasonably quick.
  3. Navigation: The guard offered to show me where I was headed, but I felt I could find it on my own. I found out that the directions were correct but when you're told to take the next left, it is understood that it does not include any door marked "Construction Do Not Enter". There's a lot of improvements going on right now, and we just have to walk around it until it's done.
  4. Waiting Area On 3 East
    No Waiting On Saturday? As I proceeded, I saw that the clinic waiting areas were all pretty empty. I am told that there's a limited clinic schedule on Saturday, and it looks if you can get an appointment then, you might not have much time in the waiting room.
  5. Nomenclature: I was initially confused by the term "3 East". I knew I was in Building 1 and that there was a Building 10 and a Building 100, but I couldn't find a Building 3 on the maps on the wall. Luckily a passing doctors straightened me out: "3 East" is the third floor of the building I was in! He went with me to the elevator and the problem was solved. 
  6. Staff Attention: After this, my visit went pretty much like a visit to any other hospital. When I got off the elevator, I couldn't see a nursing station, but I went left around the corner and there it was. I asked for help locating my friend, and they directed me to his room in a friendly way.
    Get a Book From
    the Book Cart,
    Bring Something
    to Donate Too!
    I visited for about half an hour, during which time the place was very quiet but I could see the staff constantly working. A nurse came in to check something medical, an orderly came to remove the lunch tray, another orderly stopped by to do some cleaning, and then the nurse returned to check how much water he'd drunk (scolding him a little bit in the process - just like hospitals everywhere!) In other words, this seemed like a very normal hospital stay.
  7. Book Cart: On the way out, I looked at the book cart located in the hall near the pay window. If you have to hang around this place for a while, go to the book cart for something more substantial to read than a magazine. Please note: the cart is stocked by whatever books people leave - people just like you!  I suggest that if you have a book at home that you're done with, bring it along next time to leave at the cart. Some other veteran will read it and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment